And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
Good morning on this glorious Lord’s Day. May you be blessed with God’s presence and all that He has provided for you today.
The Scripture above is another of many prophecies concerning first appearance of Christ. When Jesus came walking on the bank of the river where John was baptizing; John proclaimed, “Behold, the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world.” When John baptized Jesus in water and Jesus came out of the water, the Scripture says,
“the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him: and lo a voice from heaven, saying, this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
The Six Characteristics
There are six specific characteristics (not six different Holy Spirits) of the Holy Spirit that are seen in Isaiah and which were evident throughout the life and ministry of Christ.
1. The Holy Spirit rested upon Jesus or literally stayed or continued to be upon Christ.
2. The Spirit that rested upon Him was the Spirit of wisdom. Jesus knew how to deal with people and situations.
3. The Spirit of understanding. This reveals that He had full knowledge.
4. The Spirit of counsel. Those who listened to Jesus were always led in the right direction.
5. The Spirit of might. Jesus always had the mastery of every situation and the power to change the circumstances.
6. The Spirit of the fear of the Lord. Jesus always reverenced His heavenly Father.
God, the Holy Spirit, abides in you. Because He does, He will show up in you as He did in Jesus. While the Spirit was given to Jesus without measure, when you are baptized in the Holy Spirit, you will (or should) manifest the same characteristics in your life as was in the life of Christ. (See Philippians 2:5-7). Have blessed day.